Monday, September 27, 2010

Joint Security Area (2000)

J.S.A. - Joint Security Area

Another effort by one of my favorite directors Mr. Chan-Woon Park. This tale that starts out which seemingly going to be a male testosterone induced shoot out fair twists into a tale of friendship, honor and war. I was watching this expecting an action flick but I was not disappointed. I liked how this movie with it's Rashomon-esque story telling is able to bring us from scene to scene glued to the edge of our seat.

Probably the only thing that would stop me from giving this one it's usual gold star rating is the ending that seems to be a tad too convenient (no spoilers here just watch it) and the final act that devolves somewhat into over the top acting and melodrama. Minus a few points there, but then as that takes points off from this movie the talented Mr Kang-Ho Song who plays Sergeant Oh. It's a nuanced performance who can only be pulled off by a an actor in his league good stuff +1 point there. I just loved all his screen time (as with all his movies).

Some other colleagues of mine says that this movie is unfocused, unbelievable with a humanist message. Is it all of that ? Yes. Does it make it any less better for me ? No.

In summary I give this a 7.0/10.0. It's a good watch and would trump most of the usual hollywood bs coming out these days. A word of thanks to the Korean movie industry for keeping this reviewer interested in movies :).

No comments: