Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Dead Girl (2006)

The Dead Girl

Straight off I really liked this movie. A new director to me, Karen Moncrieff manages to take an otherwise run of the mill story line about a prostitute's death, and make it into something interesting and worth following. At the end of this I was invested in the life of this girl and it even got a bit (just a bit) dusty in my living room when I realize her eventual fate. The way this is told, it never bored me one minute which is quite a feat as I normally find this kind of depressing stories boring to the point of tears.

I guess you can say that Karen's writing with the directing and the editing manages to breath life and make us care for the rotting corpse the Toni Collette character stumbles upon at the beginning of this movie.

We are brought into the ride via the perspective of multiple characters akin to Pulp Fiction. I don't normally read into spiritual messages in movies, but I guess you could say that the God in this movie is a deistic one as the characters falter on their quests and the final scene of hope on the dead girl's face which you know will be cut short by her cruel death is just devastating. I love this way of story telling and I am giving this an 8 over 10.]

** Oh ya, the reason why I picked up this movie is because during one of the filmspotting interviews, Josh Brolin cited this movie as one of the ones he is proud of although it did wasn't like a huge blockbuster or a commercial monster. Thanks again Adam and Matty!

No comments: