Saturday, May 7, 2011

super (2010)



I have seen Defendor (okay ...) and KickAss (even more meh compared to Defendor). I mentioned those two because I am sure James Gunn's Super will get lumped together and compared with those two. Well out all three of them I liked this one the best, so much that this review was born!

Rainn Wilson of The Office fame makes a much more believable 'un-super-bumbling' hero compared to Woody or Aaron (had to look this guy up). I kept on thinking of the episode of The Office where Rainn or Dwight dressed up as an environment superhero during environment day while watching Super. Here, I think he blends and walks the fine line between being a fool and maintaining this menacing edge just right. It lends a story it's dark humor with much more finesse and depth. Think of it like a machete with a bobo the clown handle.

The story here is that Rainn after loosing his drug head wife (Liv Tyler) to a suave drug dealer (a jumpy and nervous Kevin Bacon) and hearing voices in his head rises to battle crime as his alter ego "The Crimson Bolt". Every hero needs a sidekick so after a call came too close, he forced to depend on a comic store clerk played by Ellen Paige (Bolty).

This story pulled me in and I stayed with it much due to Rainn's portrayal of Crimson Bolt which was superb plus the story line. While there were scenes which were unnecessary such as the 'sex' scene with Paige over all it managed to maintain my interest. Thank god too Ellen Paige's character finally shuts up in the last act of Super! I really can't stand that woman! There are a few violent scenes in this movie and while it still can't even hold a candle yet up to some Korean favorites, but they are improving. Hollywood taking a leave from their Eastern brothers ? I waited for this movie for quite some time after hearing the guys in Film Junk praising it over KickAss so I was curious for a long time to see how it measured up. Now, after watching it I can say it's definitely better. 4.5 stars over 5!

No comments: