Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chasing ghosts beyond the arcade

I watched this as the extension to "King of Kong" plus I really enjoyed that documentary. This was good too though I prefer King any time of the day as the story telling is tighter. This documentary brings us back to the era when arcade that was the shit and people all around was playing it, I realize I am really dating myself but I do remember being about old enough to play the Kongs, the Pacs when they came out, just that those days, I was considered the lower middle income group and my mom had this irrational fear that getting me one of those games would be equivalent to gouging my eyes out with a hot poker, so I am pretty much out of the arcade scene back then. I only joined the scene when the streetfighters were the rage but this documentary does not cover that.

The talking heads talk lovingly about the almost nirvana-ic times when they could make a living off playing games. Almost too good to be true. The final act of this covers the feeling of the bunch of players or arcade gods when the bubble burst and they had to come back and tread among us mere mortals, good stuff!

Give this one a watch on a boring Sunday afternoon. Three out of Five.

No comments: